Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Memories: I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up

I'm not loving the title of this post, but honestly, I couldn't think of anything better.  This Monday Memory will be a short one, but only because there really isn't all that much to tell!

In high school, whenever I had a spare or lunch hour, generally, my friends and I would simply roam the halls of the school chatting.  From what I can recall, pretty much everyone did the same thing.  The only exceptions that I can remember were the guys who hung out at the stairs near the water fountain.

Now, anyone who knows me well knows I am EXTREMELY distractable, and prone to drifting into la la land.  I don't necessarily consider these traits negative ones, but they certainly can land me in some trouble if I'm not careful.

One particular day, my friends (who will remain nameless unless they care to out themselves and admit that they associated with me that day!) and I were walking the halls on a busy lunch hour.  I was walking closest to the wall.

Now, if you went to high school, you may recall that most high school walls are covered with rows of lockers.  You may recall this... I, however, had apparently forgotten.

As we were walking along, I was gabbing away about something and somehow managed to walk right into a locker.  It wasn't open or anything like that.  Oh no... I managed to walk into a closed locker and jam my elbow into a combination lock as well! 

Being the dramatic, accident prone teenager that I was, it didn't end there.  I kind of rolled along the locker door and then lost my footing and stumbled a few steps and then wiped out onto the floor.  Classy.

As you know, the pressure to be accepted and well-liked in high school is intense, and so of course, I was living every teenager's worst nightmare.  How did I cope?

I just stayed on the ground.  For a long time.

I am rolling my eyes at myself as I type.  In that moment, I had somehow convinced myself that if I just stayed down on the ground that people wouldn't notice I had fallen.

Yeah... that was solid logic.  If it weren't for the huge bottleneck of students piling up behind the scene of my accident, I might just have gotten away with it.  That, and the Vice-Principal was walking right behind us.

Anyway, there isn't really a great ending to this story.  I think I just got up, dusted myself off and carried on while my friends grilled me on why I decided to lay on the ground for so long.

Suffice it to say that I wasn't really one of the popular crowd in high school.  LOL

1 comment:

  1. The image will stay forever in my mind: one of my favourite high school memories! Your incredible resiliency was already starting to show...

    ReplyDelete